Girlguiding & World Thinking Day 2014

Today was World Thinking Day - a special annual day for Girl Guides and Girl Scouts around the world. It is a day for thinking of each other, learning about and taking action on important issues, and since 1932 it has also been an important fundraising day. February 22nd was chosen for this day as it was the birthday of both Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts, and his wife Olave, who was World Chief Guide.
The world of Girlguiding has always been a part of my life. Growing up, my Mum was Leader of our local Rainbows unit, so before I was even old enough to be a Rainbow (5 - 7 years) I was an honorary one - attending meetings in my stroller! I then moved up to Brownies (7 - 10 years) and then Guides (10 - 14 years), before re-joining my Mum at Rainbows as a Young Leader. On my 18th birthday I gained my Leadership Qualification and became an Assistant Leader. And now, well I've taken my next big step to being Leader of my own unit!

In January I took over as Leader of 21st Fulham Brownies. I'd only been helping out there for a few months beforehand, and in all honesty, it's all still a little overwhelming! But Girlguiding is a fantastic organisation, and helping to keep a unit open is something that's very important to me.
Before my first Brownie meeting, 1996
Girlguiding relies on the work of volunteers - Leaders and helpers are unpaid and give up their free time to run the units - and it is a great community to be a part of!

Were you ever a member of the Girlguiding (or Scout) family?

If you're interested in volunteering a few hours a week to this wonderful organisation, you can find out more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment